|Methodology||Latex Agglutination (Quantitative)|
A D-Dimer of less than 230 ng/mL DDU is useful in excluding Venous Thromboembolism (PE/DVT) in a patient with a low pre-test probability.
|Specimen||Collect specimen as follows:
1. Draw blood in light blue-top (3.2% sodium citrate) tube(s). Separate plasma from cells within 1 hour of collection in a centrifuge at 2,500 rpm for 15 minutes or 3,000 rpm for 10 minutes.
NOTE: Double-centrifuged specimens that will be stored for longer than 1 hour are critical for accurate results as platelet contamination may cause spurious results.
2. Using a plastic transfer pipette (do not use a glass pipette) decant the plasma to a screw-capped, plastic (polypropylene) vial. (Glass vials will not be accepted.)
3. Divide the specimen into as many 0.5 - 1.0 mL aliquots as possible and cap the vial(s) tightly.
4. Freeze specimen(s) immediately at <= -40° C.
5. Send specimen(s) FROZEN on dry ice.
|Reference Values||< 230 ng/mL DDU|
|Analytic Time||1 Day - Available STAT|
|Day(s) Test Set Up||Monday through Sunday|