1. Ideal testing date is 2 weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period.
2. Discourage testing during normal menses.
3. Avoid use of vaginal medication, vaginal contraceptives, or douches for 48 hours prior to examination.
MATURATION SMEAR SPECIMEN
For a maturation smear, submit a VAGINAL smear as follows:
1. Using a lead pencil, label frosted end of glass slide with patient’s first and last name and date of collection prior to obtaining smear.
2. Vaginal lubricant should not be used prior to obtaining smear.
3. Collect vaginal smear from upper third of lateral wall of vagina.
4. Spread material evenly on slide. Apply only light pressure.
5. Spray slides immediately before slides dry with cytology fixative. Hold spray about 12 inches away from slide.
6. Place slides in a slide/cardboard holder.
Please indicate on request form the following:
A. Indicate specimen is for a “Maturation Index.”
B. Patient’s name
C. Date of birth
D. Patient address, phone number, and insurance information
E. Date of collection
F. Source of material
G. Number of slides submitted
H. Physician’s name and phone number
I. Clinical information including the following:
1) Date of last menstrual period
2) Hormonal status (eg, postmenopausal, pregnant)
3) Exogenous hormone therapy (including BCPs, treatment for endocrine responsive malignancy, estrogen creams)
4) DES exposure
5) History of systemic chemotherapy
6) History of pelvic radiotherapy
7) Any current abnormal findings or patient complaints