|Test||STREP SCREEN, THROAT|
|Methodology||Lateral flow immunoassay|
|Description||Useful for group A strep antigen detection. Includes a follow-up culture on all negative screens at an additional charge when two swabs are submitted.|
|Specimen||Collect specimen using two BBL CultureSwab® swabs as follows:
1. Place gentle pressure on tongue with tongue depressor.
2. Extend two sterile swabs between the tonsillar pillars and behind the uvula.
3. Sweep the swabs back and forth across the posterior pharynx, tonsillar areas and any inflamed or exudative areas.
4. Place swabs in transport tube. NOTE: Rapid antigen screening cannot be performed on swabs submitted in gelatin transport medium.
5. Label tube with patient's name (first and last), date of birth or medical record number, date and time of collection, collector's initials and specimen source.
6. Maintain sterility and forward promptly.
|Reference Values||Negative (reported as positive or negative)|
|Analytic Time||1 Day - Available STAT|
|Day(s) Test Set Up||Monday through Sunday|
87070 Culture, if indicated