|Test||CULTURE, FUNGUS, BLOOD|
|Methodology||Bactec 9000® / Blind Subcultures
Includes "Culture, Bacteria, Blood."
|Description||Fungal Isolates reflex to organism identification. Bacterial isolates reflex to organism identification and antibiotic susceptibility test. Additional charges apply.|
|Specimen||Collect specimen using the following procedure:
1. Remove plastic caps from Bactec® blood culture bottles and place an alcohol prep on top of the exposed rubber. DO NOT USE BETADINE.
2. Apply tourniquet and locate the vein. Release the tourniquet during skin preparation.
3. Hold Mediflex® Frepp® sponge (70% isopropyl alcohol) in a horizontal position and pinch handle once to break ampoule. Do not continue to squeeze handle. Place sponge on venipuncture site and depress once or twice to saturate sponge. Scrub vigorously for 60 seconds and allow to dry.
4. Hold Mediflex® Sepp® ampoule (2% iodine tincture) in downward position and pinch center of Sepp® to crush ampoule. Apply to venipuncture site starting at the center and moving outward in concentric circles.
5. Allow the prepared site to air dry at least 30 seconds. This will ensure that the iodine is allowed adequate time to disinfect the skin.
6. Re-apply the tourniquet.
7. Do not repalpate or touch the venipuncture site after it has been prepared.
8. Perform venipuncture using aseptic technique and a sterile syringe with an adequately gauged needle. The recommended draw for a single blood culture follows:
Patient Age Amount of Blood
9. Release tourniquet.
Amount of Blood = > 10 mL:
Amount of Blood = 5 - 10 mL:
Amount of Blood = < 5 mL:
|Reference Values||No growth (Positive culture is a critical value with auto call-back.)|
|Analytic Time||Positives are reported when detected. Negatives are reported in 6 Days|
|Day(s) Test Set Up||Monday through Sunday|
87077 Bacterial identification, if indicated
87103 Blood fungus culture
87106 Fungus identification, if indicated
87149 x5 CRE Confirmation, if indicated
87181 Antibiotic susceptibility (gradient strip), per antibiotic tested, if indicated
87184 Antibiotic susceptibility (disc method), if indicated
87186 Antibiotic sensitivity (MIC), if indicated